The Size of the UK Government Estate
Yesterday the government released data about the size of the central civil estate. The infographic shows this (green box) compared to well-known geographic features in Britain. The government press release stated that the data are a snapshot of the estate and shows that at 1 September 2011:
- the estate covered by this data is 16, 411, 676 sq m – almost six times the City of London. This does not include the wider public sector estate or parts of Central Government’s operational estate – such as NHS buildings or schools;
- this is spread across 13,911 different property holdings;
- almost one fifth of the estate is in London (17.4%);
- 40% of the estate is office space, the estate also includes 40 laboratories and 18 museums; and
- there are 552 vacant property holdings – where possible, these will be marketed and either sub-let or sold, generating income for taxpayers.